A wedding licence shows the individual doing your marriage (the wedding officiant) which you have actually met all of the requirements that are legal be hitched in Alberta.
Alberta marriage licences can be obtained from a registry agent workplace.
A registry agent problems a 2-part document. The part that is top a Registration of Marriage additionally the underside may be the wedding licence.
The complete document (Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence) should be provided to the wedding officiant which will be doing your wedding. This will be a document that is legal must certanly be kept in good shape and never folded as it’s completely archived.
Conditions for a married relationship
Banns (postings or notices in a church) aren’t acceptable as opposed to a married relationship licence.
There aren’t any residency or citizenship demands.
There isn’t any right time frame that have to pass amongst the date a couple comes in Alberta therefore the date a married relationship licence is given.
Bloodstream tests are not necessary.
A married relationship licence is legitimate for a couple of months through the date it’s given.
A marriage might take position the same time a wedding licence is granted. There isn’t any time that is waiting.
An Alberta wedding licence is legitimate for the Alberta wedding. The marriage has to take spot in Alberta.
You cannot apply for an Alberta marriage licence if you are currently married.
Whenever having the wedding licence, you need to:
- Use together during the registry representative workplace
- Some exceptions may use, talk to a registry agent for details
- Swear/affirm more than one affidavits
- It’s an offense to swear/affirm a false affidavit
- Provide your information that is personal, and the total names and delivery places of the moms and dads (including a parent’s maiden name)
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, you can’t:
- Be under the influence of a alcohol or drug
- Be related to each other as a grandparent, parent, child, sibling or grandchild, by whole blood, half adoption or blood
- Either individual getting hitched is hearing, message or aesthetically reduced
- Either individual getting hitched can be an assisted adult with a court ordered co-decision manufacturer or represented adult with a guardianship purchase
The two of you should be 18 years of age or older.
You can apply for a marriage licence if all your parents and legal guardians consent to the marriage licence being issued, unless other conditions apply if you are younger than 18 years old. Talk to a registry representative for complete details.
If you should be more youthful than 16 yrs old, you can’t marry in Alberta.
That person may provide their birth certificate or immigration document – the other person must have appropriate ID if among the few usually do not have acceptable ID
You can not be currently hitched (either to one another or some other person).
Your marital that is legal status be among the after:
- Evidence of buy mail order bride divorce or separation will become necessary; the divorce proceedings document supplied should be the last document (for instance, Certificate of Divorce, Decree Absolute).
- A divorce or separation document that says a wedding is dissolved in X timeframe just isn’t appropriate as it is impossible to understand in the event that documents that are final filed or the divorce proceedings ended up being contested through that time.
- Divorce proceedings documents which are not in English should be translated; talk with a registry representative for interpretation demands.
- A death certification regarding the spouse that is deceased not necessary.
- Never ever been hitched
- No status that is marital are expected.
Annulled Marriage (through the court)
Whenever an annulment happens to be given through a court, the individuals marital status reverts back into what it absolutely was before that annulled wedding took spot. The prior marital status may need to be proven. For instance:
- Once the status that is marital the annulment is divorced, evidence of divorce proceedings needs to be supplied along with a duplicate regarding the court ordered annulment
- As soon as the past status that is marital never ever been hitched, just the court ordered annulment document will become necessary
Whenever a wedding had been annulled, a duplicate of this court ordered annulment needs to be supplied. Spiritual and tribunal annulments are perhaps perhaps not accepted, just court ordered annulments.
Annulment documents which are not in English needs to be translated. Talk to a registry representative for interpretation needs.
Whenever getting a married relationship licence, each for the people that will be engaged and getting married must certanly be proficient in English (since legal papers are increasingly being finalized), otherwise an interpreter is required. Whenever an interpreter is required, it really is your duty to present one.
The interpreter should be:
- 18 years old or older
- Proficient both in English as well as the language needing interpretation
Once the registry representative worker issuing the wedding licence is proficient into the other language, then that registry representative worker might end up being the interpreter and issue the wedding licence.
The few obtaining a married relationship licence cannot interpret/translate for every single other.
There clearly was a $40 federal government charge for the wedding licence.
Registry agents will charge an ongoing solution cost. Provider charges vary among registry agents.
Just how to use
Step One. Make sure you qualify to use for a wedding licence
The wedding must certanly be place that is taking Alberta over the following three months.
Before using, make certain you along with your intended spouse are eligible.
Action 2. Gather your write-ups
Bring your appropriate ID with you to have the wedding licence.
Other papers may be required, such as for example divorce proceedings papers. Contact a registry representative, they are able to verify exactly just what papers you will require.
Step 3. Visit a registry representative workplace
Visit a registry representative along with your spouse that is intended ID and papers, thereby applying for a married relationship licence.
Once you use
A married relationship licence is released although you wait.
Should you not have all the given information and papers needed, the procedure is going to be delayed.
Bring your marriage licence to your ceremony and present it to your wedding officiant.
Review the Registration of Marriage/Marriage Licence document extremely closely for mistakes whenever it is got by you and just before leave the registry agent workplace. Will have errors corrected straight away.
Ahead of the ceremony takes place, errors may be corrected by a registry representative.
Following the ceremony occurs, errors must certanly be corrected by an amendment.
The wedding officiant cannot correct any given information that has been supplied once the wedding licence ended up being released.
Relate with Alberta Essential Statistics:
Hours: 8:15 am to 4:30 pm (open Monday to Friday, shut statutory holiday breaks) mobile: 780-427-7013 (Edmonton and area) Toll free: 310-0000 prior to the contact number (in Alberta) Fax: 780-422-4225
When it comes to deaf or hard-of-hearing: TTY: 780-427-9999 (Edmonton and area) Toll free TTY: 1-800-232-7215 (in Alberta)
Mail: Essential Statistics P.O. Box 2023 Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4W7
Courier: Essential Statistics Document Reception John E. Brownlee Building 10365 97 Street Edmonton, Alberta T5J 5C5